Monday, November 22, 2010

sorry for the absence...

So, it's been awhile.  Frankly, this year has been fairly boring in terms of school (just lecture after lecture, with a lab thrown in a couple times a week) and I haven't really had anything happen that I thought was worthy of a blog post.  But then I started reading another blog that was written by a vet student (now full-fledged vet) and realized that not every post needs to be about some neat hands-on class, or even a super interesting day of lecture.  I realized that I was just as interested in reading about her day to day happenings during day after day of lecture as I was in reading about her beginning to perform surgery (okay, maybe not just as interested, but pretty darn close).  While I don't plan on posting every day (or even every week) this year, I do plan on keeping up the habit of posting, so that as I progress through school and things start getting more exciting, I'll still be in the habit.

I wish I had posted this summer (frankly, after getting out of the habit it just wasn't something I thought of)...I worked in a small animal practice, and had tons of interesting things happen.  Something I struggle with, however, is how to maintain client privacy and still including all the relevant, and exciting details, so I would probably have to leave out a fair amount.

As for an update on my activities this year so far, here it goes:  we are taking all the "ologies." Systemic pathology, parasitology, virology, bacteriology, and pharmacology.  No hands on classes this term, but I've attended several interesting rounds (essentially case presentations by clinicians and fourth year students), went to a dinner meeting of a local veterinary organization, attended a panel discussion on subtheraputic antibiotic use in food animals (it became quite heated), and went to lots of lunch talks.  I've been spending lots of time studying, as usual, and feel like I've really hit my stride as far as that goes.  Exams have gone fairly well, though the latest parasitology exam could have gone better--oh well.  There's been a bit of a lack of hands-on wet labs, which hopefully will change next term.

Alright, well, have to get back to the studying.  More later (I promise!).

2 comments:

Jarka said...

:) yup, it's hart to keep posting when you feel like there's nothing "cool" happening in your life, but imagine - in 20 years, you'll look back and read your old posts and it will be nice to remember these boring school days and the atmosphere in lectures :P

maybe you could give me a link to that blog you're reading? -the one written by a vet-student-now-doctor? :) :)

Anonymous said...

Love to read about your student life...you always leave me wanting more...post again soon :)